Friday, March 5

America



Today, I experienced something I had never experienced before. One of my good friends became an American Citizen and I went to her ceremony with David, her husband and child. I work across the street from the convention center and was able to just take an early lunch. When I walked into the room the ceremony was happening, I was taken a back, So many people were in this large room. We had 189 people sworn in as Americans today, plus all the family and friends who came to support them. We had the American Legion do the color guard, and we had 2 wonderful voices sing the National Anthem. A judge then came forward and said how happy he was to do these ceremonies, as the people who come are always happy, much not to what he is use to in the Courts normally. We then had a person come forward to announce every Country that was in being represented today. It started with Afghanistan and ended with Vietnam. A total of 82 Countries! Each time a country was said, the people from that Country would stand and everyone would clap. We had the most people from Mexico (not a big surprise) but even had yelps of Hooray with them. My friend was originally from Thailand, and had one other person from that group.
We then continued on after that with the official swearing in. I cannot say what they said because it was long enough for me to take my friends son and her husband to walk across the room and take a picture. But it was amazing hearing all 189 people chanting the words. It gave me chills!

We then all said the Pledge of Allegiance together. The ceremony continued with a Congresswoman giving a speech about heritage and how we are immigrants, whether it be from our forefathers or from them themselves. She was an excellent speaker and spoke also about her own personal heritage. We then heard a message from President Obama and then stode and listened to Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American".

We then closed the ceremony by listening to the beginning singers sing America the Beautiful. It was such a wonderful experience and made me really appreciate being an American.

My good friend told me she wasn't telling very many people that she was "just now" becoming a citizen, but I think she is an awesome person and should be recognized! She has lived in America since she was 6 months old, immigrating to America with her parents. Her parents became citizens shortly after my friend turned 18, so she was not "grandfathered" into becoming a Citizen. But I want you to know how proud I am of you!

5 comments:

Donna said...

That is really awesome. It's really neat that you could go and support your friend.

Grandpa said...

This is one of the greatest experiences you can have. Good for going to share your caring.

quilts and quirks said...

What a great experience. To see so many people wanting to become American citizens. Plus the family and friends that are supporting them. These are occasions that cause goose bumps.

Lonita said...

Very neat. Thanks for sharing your experience - that's great you could experience this with your friend.

sally said...

What an awesome experience. I'm so glad you could go and support your friend, plus I just love Thailand.