Thursday, September 22

Apple Butter

This past weekend I made apple butter. It was so yummy and easy!


All the apple skins and cores


5 1/2 lbs of apple cut up


cooking away


after cooking for 8 to 9 hours


almost 6 lbs of apples only made 2 pints!


It was a very simple recipe.

The only thing I did different was omit the cloves (I didn't have any) & I used 3 cups of sugar and 1/4 cup of honey. I also sliced up the apples in the evening and let it cook all night so it would be ready when I got up in the morning.

I then gave it away to 2 of the sisters I visit teach in my ward. (I had just enough left in the crockpot to sample on a slice of toast).

I'm making more this weekend to give to the last sister I visit & also one for me! 


6 comments:

Grandpa said...

Apple butter is very very good, but it takes so long to make. I had a friend in Kansas who made apple butter (lots of it) and they would devote days and days to making it. I hope you enjoy it.

quilts and quirks said...

It sure looks good. SO much work.

sally said...

Thank you Thank you for sharing. I've been trying to figure out what I should do with all the apples I have come the middle of October. Right now I'm so excited about apple pie. I'm going to try this. Did David make it home?

Jeni Allen said...

You're so sweet! That looks really, really yummy! So, did David make it home?

Brittany said...

Yum! I love apple butter. My mom made it a lot growing up from the zillions of apples we got from our orchard. :)

Thaomee said...

Yummy! I love homemade apple butter.